Steps To Buying A Dog
Getting a dog such as a Mastiff (:-)) is a step that many people take lightly. The truth is, people focus only on the excitement of getting a new puppy but don’t think about the hard work and time required to take care of one. Dogs live well over 10 years and depend on you the entire time. Having a new family member isn’t a decision that should be made overnight without considering what it entails and which breed is the most suitable for your family.
Unfortunately, due to hasty decisions, many shelters are full of dogs who were chosen without considering the breed. With 340 breeds officially recognized by the FCI, there’s a perfect breed out there for everyone. Here we share information about the 50 most popular dog breeds today. But before you choose, make sure you take the following steps before you get a dog.
5 Steps to Choosing the Perfect Dog
Before you get a dog, of any breed, please take the necessary steps, so it doesn’t end up being the newest addition to the shelter because you jumped the gun and didn’t think it through.
- Learn about yourself and exactly what you want and need.
- Think about your home and what kind of dog would be the most suitable for it. Is it an apartment or a large farmhouse out in the open?
- According to your needs, choose 10 breeds to consider based on their size, temperament, trainability, and maintenance.
- Dig deep to find as much as you can about each breed. Read about people’s experiences with a specific breed.
- Once you decide on the breed, consider visiting an animal shelter. You’ll be surprised how many purebred dogs are left in shelters due to bad choices. Someone’s wrong decision for their family may be the ideal decision for yours.
Don’t overlook the importance of choosing the ideal breed. All puppies are cute, but not every breed is for everyone. Follow the steps above and read about the 50 most popular dog breeds so you can get started and decide what would be best for both of you.